Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas

A lot of people have been asking what I did for Christmas here. Unfortunately, the answer is, "Not much." But don't pull out your hankies and start shedding tears of pity just yet--it was a great holiday nevertheless.

For those of you who don't already know, Japan's Christian population is very small. Christmas is celebrated here, but mostly as a commercial holiday. Kids get toys, families eat cake together, some of the older kids go to parties, and that's about it.

As for me, I actually celebrated Christmas during the wee hours of Boxing Day, since that would put me in line with Christmas in the States (thanks to a hefty time difference). I prepared for the big day by decorating my living room and buying a miniature potted pine tree from a grocery store--and as any of you who know me well are no doubt wondering, I would like to mention that he IS still alive, thank you very much.  My very own Christmas miracle.

The weather played its part as well, perhaps too enthusiastically. It stormed constantly for days before Christmas, giving me the perfect opportunity to nestle under the kotatsu in my adult footie pajamas without even a tremor of shame or fear of being witnessed (except, as it turned out, by the mail woman, who dutifully delivered my family's care packages even on the great day itself).

Thanks to the wonders of technology I got to open my presents in front of my family, so to speak, through a webcam. I think it transmitted my shrieks of joy with crystal clarity, to the detriment of the general population's health.

My loved ones certainly took care of me this year, taking pains to send gifts across the great divide in spite of outrageous shipping costs. And though it may be uncouth, the pirate in me can't help but brag a little about the booty: an ungodly number of thick socks, baking supplies, and clothes. All of which are in very short supply here (at least for a woman of hippy dimensions and sugar-rich tastes), and very much appreciated.

After all the calls and cams and expressions of love flung far and wide through the webosphere, I settled in for a long sleep, recouping from the kind of  sugar rush that only an overabundance of American sweets can bring.  My Christmas wasn't exactly what you might call an eventful day, but it was full to the brim of everything that makes this holiday worth celebrating: Adult Footie Pajamas.

Oh, and you know...that "love" stuff too.

2 comments:

  1. "Hippy dimensions"...I love you Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wouldn't have been Christmas without seeing you. The airtime made it special!
    All the best with love!

    ReplyDelete